Dorm friendly meals in the microwave aren’t hard to come by. There’s canned food, frozen foods or packaged food like ramen noodles or tv dinners that a college student can make in the microwave. but there are also actual recipes for food you can make, I will provide 7 recipes, 1 for every day of the week. As a college student, we find this convenient because it isn’t as expensive as eating out every day.
As a commuter, I try to pack lunch everyday instead of eating out because its healthier and less expensive. If you decide to do the same, you can leave your lunch in the refrigerator at Student Success (Admin building 2nd floor) and then warm it in the microwave there; this is where the advisors are located as well. There is also a microwave located in the bottom floor of the Allara Library.
As a resident, I like being able to cook my own meals when I don’t have time to go to café. You can find some of these ingredients at Pod or you can drive to walmart. The school also provides a shuttle if you need to go to the grocery store and you don’t have a car.
Here are some easy recipes you can make in the microwave:
Chicken Quesadilla: Est Cost: 4 servings $7
- 2 medium flour tortillas
- ½ cup chicken strip (cooked)
- (optional) ½ bell pepper, diced
- (optional) 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- ¼ cup shredded cheese
- Microwave the tortillas around 10-15 seconds
- Mix the chicken, peppers, and taco seasoning in a bowl, cooked around 1-2 minutes
- Spread mixture on tortilla, then top with cheese, then top that with another tortilla. Cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute and serve.
Mac ‘N’ Cheese Est Cost: 3 servings $8
- ½ cup of elbow macaroni
- ½ cup of water
- Salt and pepper (for taste, but optional)
- 1.4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the macaroni, water, and salt in a microwaveable mug.
- I recommend putting a late under the mug because the water will run over. Microwave for 2-3 minutes, then stir.
- Add the milk, cheese, salt, and pepper, then stir.
- Microwave for another 30 seconds, stir.
Omelet Est Cost: 6 omelets $7
- 2 eggs
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- 2 slices of ham, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shredded cheese (I put ¼ cup but add what you like)
- Combine all ingredients in a microwaveable mug.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, making sure the egg doesn’t bubble over. Stir halfway through the cooking process. Then serve.
- French Toast Est Cost: 7 servings $7
- 1 or 2 pieces of bread per cup
- 3 tbsp. Milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla (optional)
- Cut bread in cubs
- Melt enough butter to slosh around inside of the mug
- Put bread in the mug, kind of smash it down but not so much the mixture you’re going to add can’t soak the bread
- In another mug, crack 1 egg, add 3 tablespoons of milk
- Sprinkle cinnamon and add vanilla (optional)
- Mix well, then pour into the mug with the bread and let it soak.
- Put the cup in the microwave for one minute, then add ten seconds at a time until the egg is cooked. For me, it totaled about 1 minute and 20 seconds.
Mashed Potatoes Est Cost: 8 servings $3
- 4 cups of Water
- Bowl and fork
- Salt and pepper for taste
- Package of Idahoan Buttery Homestyle mashed potatoes
- Microwave water for 4-6 minutes
- Remove water carefully and add the package immediately. Let stand for 1 minute. Stir and serve.
Chili Cheese Dip Est Cost: 4 servings $5
- 8-ounce cream cheese
- 1 can of chili
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese
- Microwave safe baking dish
- Nacho (to eat with it)
- Spread the cream cheese in pan. Top cream cheese with an even layer of chili. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese over the chili.
- Heat for 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
Mug Pizza Est Cost: per mug $1
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/16 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon marinara sauce
- 1 generous tablespoon shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs (optional)
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together
- Add in the milk and oil then mix. (There might be some lumps but that is ok)
- Add the marinara sauce and spread it around the surface. Then sprinkle the cheese, pepperoni, and dried herbs
- Microwave for 1 minute 10-20 seconds, or until it rises up and the toppings are bubbling