1 Learning Objectives
The NICU Virtual Gaming Simulation promotes the application of knowledge and skills for critical thinking and clinical decision making for an infant admitted to the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU).
The learning objectives of this simulation are:
- Complete an evidence-based assessment of an infant admitted to the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU).
- Demonstrate therapeutic communication skills related to diversity, equity, and belonging in family-centered care.
- Demonstrate correct drug calculations related to administering IV medications to a neonatal patient.
- Prioritize nursing care and actions based on clinical assessment findings related to the care of a neonate diagnosed with transient tachypnea of the newborn (TTN).
- Apply evidence-based care related to the provision of human milk and breastfeeding an infant in the NICU.
Note to Educators Using this Resource
The NICU Virtual Gaming Simulation resource is best incorporated after learners have completed learning content regarding postpartum care of the newborn and mother. This resource can support learners’ knowledge and skill performance related to ISBAR handoff report, communication, medication administration, breastfeeding, transient tachypnea of the newborn, and trauma-informed care. The practices align with the Nurse Practice Act of the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing. However, individual institutional practices may vary according to institution guidelines.