Welcome to Accounting and Accountability! Chapter 1 will provide some context for this practice called “accounting” and examine how we as a society have arrived at the current conceptions of accounting. Most textbooks take a very western-centric view of accounting, however in Chapter 1, we introduce other perspectives – for surely as long as cultures around the world have used concepts like ownership and custodianship – there must have been some form of accounting.
In this chapter, we will cover
- Defining accountability and accounting
- The history of accounting and accountability across the world
- How accounting supports the concept of accountability
- Different types of accounting
- Indigenous perspectives on accounting
Listen to the audiobook for this chapter on Soundcloud – Chapter 1 audiobook [25 minutes] (opens link in new tab)